Last night Bebe and I stayed in a village called Ireli, a few kilometers North East of Tireli where I saw the amazing mask dance yesterday.
Bebe made special Malian pancakes for me this morning. He called them pancakes, but they looked and tasted like doughnuts to me. They were deep-fried and quite sweet: sugary-sweet. The pancakes actually turned out to be timely because I was craving a bit of sweet stuff for breakfast anyway. The only pity was that I didn't take any photos of these "pancakes" then.

Today was the third day and the last day of my Dogon hiking. My backpack was light and I was feeling good with those sweet pancakes in my belly.


We walked through a small Dogon village and made a short-cut by ascending along a slope of an enormous escarpment.
It was really "enormous" as shown in the photo below.


I spotted some caves over the face of this escarpment. They were clearly visible even from afar and were apparently dug by pygmies a long time ago: pygmies are said to have inhabited around here even before the ancestors of today's Dogon people arrived here. Their cave-houses still remain intact but completely deserted today. Bebe told me that they moved out here and were now living in and around Cameroon.


Today's hike was only for a couple of hours in the morning and we arrived in Sangha - the last stop for our hike - just before midday.



Sangha is located about 30km east from Bandiagara.
I was strolling around the village of Sangha after lunch for sight-seeing, while Bebe was frantically looking for a means for both of us to go back to Bandiagara. It seemed that he couldn't find anybody in the village who needed to go to Bandiagara today until one local truck driver showed up. The driver was going to go to Bandiagara in the afternoon with two things to be done before leaving:
1 ) To load some empty barrels onto the back of his truck
2 ) To replace a big-fat flat tyre with another big-fat tyre


I asked Bebe if he and the driver needed some help for these two heavy duties, he said: "No! Don't worry. You sit and wait!" So I was just standing with lovely local kids around the truck and we all kept watching the guys to finish their jobs.



The truck-ride was so bumpy, not only because of the crappy suspensions of the truck, but also because of the poorly maintained road: it was literally a bush-road with bumps and dents everywhere. It was so gravel....


When the truck driver dropped us off at Bandiagara, it was almost 17pm and then another problem emerged. There weren't enough passengers for a bush-taxi in Bandiagara to go back to Mopti where I was hoping to stay tonight. This meant that I patiently had to wait for more people to show up. In the worst scenario this bush-taxi might decide not go at all until tomorrow morning. Ahh....
Well, my Dogon hike wasn't an organised tour by any company. It was carried out independently by just signing a hand-written paper contract between Bebe and me. Therefore, a thing like this could easily happen!

Bebe walked down to the street and started asking some local boys with motorbikes to find out if any one of them could give me a ride to Mopti. And Bebe, a true Bandiagara local, found one guy for me!


The above photo shows me with Bebe just before I took off for Mopti with the motorbike guy.
By the way, Bebe is looking for a "foreign girlfriend" at the moment. If you think he is hot, give me an email, I'll pass it on to him.


The bike guy drove me to Mopti without any problems and it was just after 20pm when I checked in at a hotel, I was so exhausted but very happy and satisfied with the completion of my hiking in Dogon Country. Without Bebe, I couldn't have done it on my own. Thanks very very much, Bebe!


  Leave Your Comment (この記事へコメントする)